Trail mix can be a tricky product to buy. Seemingly healthy and satisfying with creamy nuts and sweet dried fruit, you wouldn’t think that it would actually be a dessert in disguise. Take a look at the nutrition facts on a trail mix bag and you may be startled to see a boatload of added sugar for each serving size of a few table spoons. So, I decided to make my own mix while still keeping the sweet, rich flavors that I love in a trail mix. Now, I eat it for breakfast, for a snack, even for dessert! Bon Appetite!
- Start off with a base of oats. My favorite right now is the Evoke Athlete Fuel Organic Muesli.
Filled with just organic oats, organic raisins, organic almonds, organic golden flaxseed, organic rye, organic pumpkin seeds, and organic cashews (I know, you get it, it’s all organic), it is the perfect healthy mix to start off with. You can use any oats you want, just check the nutrition facts to make sure there is no added sugar. I like to take a tupperware to fill up for the week. Whether you want to make a big batch or a single serving, is up to you. Either way, I would fill the container between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way full depending on the ratio of oats to other things that you want.
- Next, you will need some seeds. I like to use sunflower and pumpkin seeds and I put in a bunch. Just toss in however much you prefer.
- After that, it is nut time. I like to use a lot of nuts, but you can add whatever nuts are your favorite. Generally, I will use almonds, peanuts, pecans, and cashews. I think it is best to buy them chopped so there won’t be any big chunks.
- Now get your dried fruits. A lot of dried fruits have sugar, so be wary. Raisins generally come unsweetened. However, if you really want a fruit that you can’t find unsweetened, you can sometimes find them sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar. In addition to sweet fruits, I like to throw in some tart dried cherries to cut the creamy sweetness a little.
- Last step is to mix it up. I suggest keeping some kind of spoon/scoop in the tupperware so you can mix it each time before you scoop it. It is the perfect mix for on the go or for when you need a pick me up at home. It is also super easy to make. Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments below!
Subscribe if you haven’t already! You can find the subscribe button on the right sidebar on computers or a little below this post on mobile devices. A confirmation email will be sent to your email address so make sure you confirm to receive notifications of a new post!